The Hatchling is out now (since last week)

 

The Hatchling premeired on October 17 last week from this mini-review's posting. I watched it the moment it came out, and here are my thoughts on it (if you haven't seen my Twitter tweet on it).

I think it's excellent. First and foremost, the visuals for the dinosaurs done by Max Bellomio (Forgotten Bloodlines fame) are excellent and highly accurate, provided by Max Bellomio. The short's runtime, while only 10 minutes, is still rather well paced, playing out like an excerpt from a feature length film, aided by great performances from the actors (I hope they go onto bigger things), and keeps the other dinosaurs in it only briefly to keep focus on the Deinocheirus. I also like how the characters actually do address that the dinosaurs showing up and making themselves at home would be bad for the eosystem no matter what (something I wish a certain Jurassic Park film did in detail, but enough of that). The music is also nice too, carrying the classic 80's and 90's feel of movies with sense of wonder and awe - Like Spielberg's and Amblin's, it clearly owes a lot from without being obvious and derivative.

I don't even mind the short doesn't take place in the 80's or 90's like I thought it would. It's a minor complaint at best, as is the short runtime. Must be an effect of an indie budget, CG visuals notwithstanding.
  • Story - 8/10
  • Accuracy - 9/10
  • Aging - 9/10
  • Visuals - 10/10
  • Music - 8/10
  • Rewatchability - 10/10

The Hatchling is great, 10/10 in my book, doing pretty much everything great. Here's hoping director Tim Cianfano can make a feature length version someday.

What do you think of The Hatchling? What's great about it to you? Share your thoughts wherever you can.

See Also

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mesozoic Mind's Walking with Dinosaurs fan remake: 2nd Anniversary Special

Dino Lab review - Part one

T. rex: The Ultimate Predator at the ROM - a review